Thursday, April 4, 2013

SpongeBob: The Flying Dutchman [REVIEW]

This week I'll be talking about four different LEGO SpongeBob SquarePants sets I got from Target. They currently have a 20% off any SpongeBob set coupon available here. You must print (and use) by 05/18/13. I was able to print four coupons between two computers and get the sets that are available at Target. I realize these are older sets but it's never too late to pick one up!
Today we have another medium set:

SpongeBob SquarePants The Flying Dutchman
Set # 3817
241 pieces
$24.99USD ($19.99 with coupon)
$0.10/piece ($0.08 with coupon)
Ages 6-12
Released 2012


Box Front
Box Back




Inside we have the instructions, ship front piece, and two bags (no stickers!).




I bought this set for the palm leaves and the ship piece. I don't know what I'll do with it yet, but I hope to figure out something neat. The first bag contains the island with a secret surprise and the stars of the set, the minifigures!


I love all the brown 1x4 tiles, as I tend to use those a lot.
This build is so cute. I love how they hid the treasure inside the rock. Very cool play features in this part of the set. The cannon is fun, but don't shoot your eye out. It's just not a good idea.


The technique of the palm leaves going in different directions is great. It was a good choice that makes
this island look more realistic.
The second bag contains the parts to build the pirate ship. It's smaller than I thought it would be, but it's so cool. The pirate sail is a PRINTED PIECE! If you don't already know, I am not a fan of stickers. 


There are some really nice green pieces that I am happy came in the set. I hope to find uses
for them in the future.

Here is the pirate ship completed. I was pleasantly surprised with the technique of the cabin windows. They give the ship a nice shape.




When you put both builds together, it creates a nice scene. Patrick is ready to find the treasure, and SpongeBob is ready to defend it. What is the Flying Dutchman up to?




The minifigures are really cute. I like Patrick in his cut-off jean shorts. SpongeBob's pirate hat is really nice too. I like the Flying Dutchman's "bag of souls" and I think it would be nice as a purse for a lucky lady minifig.


Patrick, SpongeBob, and Flying Dutchman
We do have some extra pieces. An extra sword can't hurt, right?




I am happy with this purchase. I would have liked to see a slightly larger ship, but for $20 with the coupon, I am not disappointed. There isn't a ton of motion  with this set, aside from the cannon. This is more imagination based, but that isn't a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment